Friday, February 17, 2012

Reaching Our Potential

As a teacher of 8th-graders, I always strive to make my students understand that they control their future. Each and every one has the ability and the power to achieve success in their lives, and I encourage them to work hard and to make decisions that will have a positive impact on their lives.

A couple of years ago, I interviewed an exceptional young man who has never seen himself as being disabled. Instead, he's been an athlete and a scholar. His story made me think how much we all can accomplish when we have the fortitude to tackle the challenges and climb the mountains that are laid before us. When I was working on the article, I came across a statement by Zimbabwe native and double-amputee Prudence Mabhena who said, "I want to show the world that disability does not mean inability." That quote could well define Oliver Horne on one condition - he's not out to prove anything to the world. He is simply persistent in living his life to the best of his ability.

2 comments:

miruspeg said...

Roban I feel reaching our potential is a lifetime journey....or many lifetimes!
I am enjoying my journey because I am travelling with so many beautiful souls.
People with disabilities have a much harder journey than most and I applaud their courage.
Be well my friend
Peggy xxxxxx

Relyn Lawson said...

Thank you so much for this inspiring, wonderful post.