Wednesday, November 26, 2008

Finding Happiness Down Memory Lane


I couldn't help but revisit my childhood today when I saw Sir Tom Jones on the "Today" show. His voice brought back memories of my childhood. You see, even though she didn't openly admit it, I always knew my mom carried a torch for this Welsh singer. In fact, I don't think a week passed that we didn't watch the Tom Jones Show together. While she, no doubt, was watching his performance and drinking in his intoxicating accent, I was performing as one of the dancers on his show, albeit on the shag carpet of our living room instead of on stage with him.

Fast forward to the 1980s. My mother was going through a difficult time when I happened to see an advertisement that Tom Jones would be appearing at the Fox Theatre in Atlanta. I bought tickets and surprised my mom. She had no idea where we were going until she saw his name in lights on the Fox Theatre marquee.



While she was busy watching Sir Tom perform on stage, I couldn't help but watch her. What wonderful smiles lit up her face that had for months been drawn and sad. Tom Jones, live in concert, chest-baring shirt and all!

I've never been great at touching others' lives. I tend to stay in my own little world way too much. But on that day, I struck gold. I brought happiness to someone else, and I probably enjoyed it more than she did! My mom passed away several years ago, so the visit with Sir Tom this morning brought back more than childhood memories. It brought my mom back for a short little visit as I reminisced about that star-studded night we shared many years ago.

Who have you brought happiness to recently? It may be through daily displays of love and affection or something a little more out of the ordinary. In any event, I would love to hear from you!

10 comments:

carrhop said...

Love this story! Who knew that a Tom Jones encounter could build such a great memory for a mother and daughter!

Blessings!

Inga's Notepad said...

What a great story to share! Bet you never guessed a simple gift could bring so much joy(to both you and your mom). Music is such a personal thing I a wholeheartedly agree that is can bring up a flood of memories with just one song.

Glad you caught that show!
Enjoy the memories!

Happy Thanksgiving!

Caroline said...

What a wonderful gift you gave! I like to leave little things for people to find. I like to take healing crystals (I put some good loving thoughts into it) and put them some place where someone can pick it up (like a park bench). It makes me happy to think that a stranger my find it and put in their pocket.

miruspeg said...

What a beautiful story Roban.
I love how you said you 'struck gold', what wonderful words.

I am so pleased you were able to relive those memories the other day and such a special memory.

The last time I remember bringing happiness to someone was in 2006 when I went to Rwanda with a friend to teach some orphans photography. We took some digital cameras with us and after showing them how to use the cameras, seeing the absolute delight on their faces when they were viewing the pictures they had taken, warmed my heart tremendously.

Enjoy your weekend
Peggy

miruspeg said...

Roban, thanks for your really nice comments and stories on my recent posts, you are very kind.

Hey I just checked out that frog and horse picture, isn't it brilliant. Some people are so talented.

Glad to hear you are planning to live to 100, that is 5 more years than I have put in for!

Keep smiling
Peggy

McMGrad89 said...

That was a great story...What a memory...Thanks for sharing.

Mommy2Twinkies-Deb said...

I love this post. It reminds me of my trip with my mother this summer to Graceland! Awesome, awesome, awesome! Looks like yours is a great memory too.

It's great to be back. Glad we share a love of Destin. It is so beautiful there. We love going back. The tiara didn't make it to the beach, but we bought her some headbands with "jewels" on them, and they became her tiaras for the week!

Happy Thanksgiving!

Parris Whooo? said...

You are getting better and better at finding subjects to share. This one brought Mom back, as you said, and the little you, as well. What a time we had in our go-go boots and fishnets. Mom was pretty progressive and gave us a sense of "flair."

Wendelyn DeMoss said...

I love this post Roban. What a gift you gave your mom. Aren't those the best kind..giving something that someone will really enjoy! My brother and I split the cost to send my parents to Portland this summer to see my brother's newest baby. My mom and I had gone last year when he was born but my dad had not seen him yet. My dad has been in bad health and we didn't know if he could make the trip but it all worked out and they both have a great memory of seeing that little one before he was 14 months old. Even though I wasn't there to see there faces, I smile when I think about what they enjoyed. I know your mother is still smiling and I am thankful for your moment with her this week!

MrsPeel said...

Amazing...When I said that our lives have crossed path is not a mere coincidence...I cannot pin point what now, but I am sure there is a reason why we have *met*... Not only have I just posted something aboit Happiness, but also about the 60s and I saw him, Tom Jones, in interviews then and interviews now, on monday evening :) Sarita s dad loved him, and I have a colection of his songs.....
I also wanted to let you know I'm posting some stuff here, and that I have posted your August Rush's Scrapblog not only here in my blogger, but also in my Vox blog (of course is a direct link to you, which I also have made (another link) to your page of Scrapblogs)
Watched the movie today.....and, how great that SB brings us together and give us experiences that are to treasure....
I think of you very, very often in my day. I am so, so happy we have *met* :)