Sunday, August 11, 2013

Mosaic Monday: Planted


I'm not great as a gardener. Other than African violets, there are few plants and flowers that I can grow well. I did tempt fate this year by buying a type of philodendron for my classroom. I bought new potting soil and re-potted the plant, so it would have room to grow. I took it to school as it if were show-and-tell day. I watered it nervously on Friday before I left hoping that its leaves wouldn't be yellowed by the time I returned on Monday. As I poured water over it bit by bit, I wished the plant could sputter 'that's enough' when I'd given it the right amount. Instead, I guessed, which doesn't seem anywhere near scientific enough at all.

All that to say that I love flowering plants. I found all of these when we were on Mackinac Island this summer. Flowers at nearly every storefront and hanging from baskets along the street.

You really can't be in a bad mood when there are flowers everywhere. 

I'm hoping that my new plant will have positive effects in my classroom, too. It's supposed to purify the air, provide more oxygen, and sharpen my students' focus. Now that I think about it, I'm pretty psyched about sharing the load with Phil this year. If he can sharpen their focus, I promise to give them some ELA and reading to focus on.

I'm joining Mary at Little Red House for this week's Mosaic Monday. If you'd like to see more, just click on over.

13 comments:

Pondside said...

Every room should have flowers or a plant - plants are the best as they are living and really add a lot of good to the atmosphere.
Your photos are lovely - made me wish for a day at the shore!

eileeninmd said...

Flowers do make you happy! They are beautiful images and I love all the pretty colors. Have a happy week ahead!

podso said...

Delightful flowers! the plant should make a great addition to your classroom and something besides kids to take care of!

~Lavender Dreamer~ said...

I love your comment about the flowers everywhere. We feel that way about living here in Florida with all of the green lushness of our surroundings!

Noel Morata said...

I always love when people put out beautiful flowers in their planter boxes, sweet

beth said...

if i can help at all, let me know, i have a green thumb :)

ps...web journaling is another way of saying blogging but in a fancier way....at least that's how i understood it....but i'm not completely certain :)

Mary Howell Cromer said...

My plants are like fish...they look at me and say when do you want me to die ;( SIGH. I have not very much good fortune with plants, however, I have certainly spent a bunch in trying over the many years. Your images are lovely~

Unknown said...

I'm only now learning that I don't have the black thumb like I use to! These are gorgeous...Mozart is suppose to be good too. Play it low...subliminal like! hee hee

Lisa Gordon said...

What a beautiful mosaic this is, Roban!

aspiritofsimplicity said...

I love flowers as well. I plant them in containers on my porch. When I walk about I admire the beautiful gardens.

Lorrie said...

I love flowers and plants. I think they add life to any room. Your flower captures are great and I hope your philodendron flourishes.

Nancy said...

Your mosaic is certainly a beautiful example of summer flowers.....I hope your new plant does great in your classroom and your kids will enjoy seeing it grow....

Gardening in a Sandbox said...

I believe you picked the prettiest blue colour for your collage. I loved all the elements of it. Valerie