Sunday, September 7, 2008

Creating and the Art of Perfection




Perfection can really stand in the way of creativity. At least it has for me.

I've always enjoyed looking at the wonderful creations featured in scrapbook and stamping magazines, but instead of feeling inspired, I felt too much in awe of the creativity splashed across the pages to try a new technique on my own. Oh, I've dabbled here and there, but I never felt that I could really create something unique on my own.

That changed a bit when my daughter led me to the wonderful site of Scrapblog.com. On this digital scrapbooking site, I can try different backgrounds, stickers, and color combinations... and if I don't like them, I can start over and choose other elements to create a page. I've particularly enjoyed layering different elements, which has been much easier to do digitally than with paper.

Now, I have to admit that I'm still intimidated a bit by the oodles of talent on that site. As I am here when I visit places like Small Creations, where the talented Audrey shares her unique cards and projects, some of which I've seen in magazines such as Inspiration and Artful Blogging.

But I'm trying to be realistic, rather than perfect. And to enjoy the process of creating as much as the final creation.

So, instead of hiding in the background, I'm sharing one of my creations.... It's a page from my "The Secret Life of Bees" scrapblog, on which I mixed a stamped/tinted image with the goodies on Scrapblog.com. While I believe my creativity is still in its infancy, I will put perfection to the side, continue to marvel at the creativity I find, and do my best to enjoy the process as much as the final product.

2 comments:

miruspeg said...

Hi Roban!
You hit the nail on the head in this piece of writing when you said 'enjoy the process of creating as much as the final creation'.
I feel in awe most of the time when I see amazing scrapblogs created by little_m and octamom and many others and have to put that out of my mind and enjoy my own creations. My first love is photography and I am very pleased every now and again when I capture on camera a good photo.

That new blog heading of mine was a photo I took at Sculpure by the Sea in Bondi, Sydney in 2006. I am still trying to work out how to centre it or spread it across the whole page.

Pleased to hear you are not perfect, what a boring existance that would be!

Cheers
Peggy

miruspeg said...

Thanks for the suggestion of a slide show for my photos.
I am very new to blogging and I haven't checked out all the facilities yet.
Bye for now
Peggy