Tuesday, April 16, 2013

Letter to a Coward



I am heartbroken for the men and women and the boys and girls who happened to be in your path of destruction yesterday. And I am angry. I am angry that you feel beyond reproach for taking peoples' lives or maiming them in one fell blow. Who do you think you are? And what gives you the right to take innocent lives or leave scars - both physical and emotional - on victims that you don't even know.

When I heard the news yesterday afternoon, I was once again in stunned disbelief, just as I was on that September day in 2001 when other innocent lives were lost. And regardless of whether you are an American or someone from distant shores, I consider you with disgust. And with pity because you are an empty shell with no moral compass to steer your course.

I consider you a coward because you hide behind your causes or your grievances when you construct your weapons and detonate them in crowds of unsuspecting men, women, and children. You run. You hide. And you don't know how to create change in the world unless you inflict pain upon others. 

It is time to rein in the madness in this world. To toss into the junk pile the trash that others see as change. To reclaim goodness, and kindness, and the knowledge that we should do unto others as we would have them do unto us. 

If you have grown up as an American citizen, shame on you for trying to tear your country's fabric apart. And if you are here and are not an American citizen, it is time for you to crawl home.


4 comments:

Karen Lakis said...

I couldn't agree more. Here in Boston, I think we're all feeling a little stunned - I have no doubt this will change to anger very soon.

Lisa Gordon said...

This could not have been stated any better Roban. This is indeed a very, very sad time.

beth said...

this is beyond the most perfect letter i have read....your words are wonderful.....xo

Unknown said...

Really well said! I was walking across the parking lot yesterday and I just felt consumed with anger that someone would do such a thing to innocent, unsuspecting people. People that were dedicating their time and energy to accomplish a personal goal and people there to cheerlead them on. Its a horrific tragedy that I can't even wrap my mind around. Thanks for your words, it helps.