Sunday, September 6, 2009

Mosaic Monday: All Dressed Up With Somewhere To Go


When Hannah was a baby, she smiled and laughed a lot. When she was a toddler, she would put her sweet, little feet in my high heels and try to walk around the house in them. When she was in pre-school, she would wear my scarves, my hats, and my jewelry and look in the mirror and smile at herself.

When Hannah was in elementary school, she would play in my make-up, brushing colorful eye shadow over her eyelids and eyebrows.

When she began middle school, she would twist and twirl her pony-tailed hair into a messy bun on the top of her head and fall out of her desk and trip on the stairs.

Then, this past Saturday night,

Hannah artfully brushed a subtle shade of eye shadow over her eyelids and combed mascara through her naturally dark lashes. She styled her friend's hair in cascading curls before styling her own hair into a sleek, sophisticated look.

She slipped into her first little, black dress and stepped into her first pair of high heel shoes.

And she went to a friend's Bat Mitzvah and smiled and laughed a lot.

She danced with her friends and forgot to eat because she was having so much fun.

And I sit here now, both proud and wistfully sad.

Proud that she is as sweet as she is beautiful... that she is wise and silly and graceful and clumsy. And a bit sad remembering her toddler days and that she's not my baby any more, yet always will be.

God gave me the gift of motherhood, yet it's a gift that tugs at my heart and coaxes happy-sad tears down my cheeks...

on a Saturday night when she's all dressed up with somewhere to go.

XOXO Peanut... I love you
For more photo mosaics, visit Mary at Little Red House... the generous host of Mosaic Monday.

22 comments:

Carol said...

I love your post! and can totally relate! Been there for the Bat Mitzvah's. OY! They grow up so fast! I have to deal with Sweet 16's now!

Linda said...

What beautiful young ladies. Time certainly does go way to fast. Enjoy every moment that you can.

Mary said...

Oh, how sweet! Thank you for sharing your beautiful images at Mosaic Monday. :)

Thoughtfully Blended Hearts said...

They certainly grow up before we're ready!! What a beautiful post!!!

ellen b said...

Oh how very sweet this is. The thoughts to go along with the mosaic are beautiful. The young ladies looks beautiful...

miruspeg said...

OH Roban so very pleased you took the time to create this beautiful mosaic and share your thoughts about Hannah.

It was an incredibly moving piece of writing....very vivid. You have a wonderful gift. AND a wonderful daughter!

Hugs
Peggy

Alison Gibbs said...

What a fabulous post for Mosaic Monday.They grow way to fast!!
Alison

Jeanne said...

Oh my when our baby girls grow up! Beautiful girl you have there and what sweet memories to share with us.

Wildflowerhouse said...

What beautiful young ladies and your memories made your mosaic really special.

~JarieLyn~ said...

I agree with Miruspeg. You have a gift of writing. This is a very good post. I don't have kids, so I can only imagine the depth of feeling you have for your daughter, and still, you managed to move me and touch me deep inside. Your daughter is gorgeoud.

Thanks for visiting my blog. I'm not sure how mcuh the boats cost but I'm sure it's probably an expensive hobby. Maybe not as costly as the remote controlled planes though.

Ebie said...

She is so gorgeous and dresses like a lady. I love the different poses of her and her friend on the mosaic. She also has a sweet smile. I enjoyed reading your post!

Gemma Wiseman said...

Lovely happy mosaic and adored your words through this post! All just beautiful!

Jenn@ You know... that blog? said...

*sigh* I relate all too well. My daughters are growing up so fast. I guess I'm lucky that I get to do it twice - my girls are 10 years apart. 5 and 15 next month in fact. My Teen is so independent and together that it scares me to death, and my Wee One seems to make leaps and bounds in development on a daily basis. Bittersweet indeed...

Regina said...

Lovely ladies. Nice one!

Leacayoungart said...

It does fly by so fast. In two years, my husband and I will have an empty nest.

Unknown said...

How lovely, she is a beautiful young woman. I know your emotions so well. I have two daughters and when they put on their first black dress, it was so emotional.

Lovely mosaic of a beautiful daughter.

Karen

Claudia said...

Very nice collections of smiles and darling young women.

Made me think of when i was younger AND then to where my daughter (with out permission I might add) went ahead and grew up too!!

Very sweet.

If you have a moment-- I would love for you to stop by.

TTFN~~Claudia ♥ ♥

Quiltpiecer said...

I LOVE your post! It's so special because our children grow up so fast! My 18 YO son has moved on and it was only yesterday that he was in preschool. You have given me an idea for next week's mosaic monday. Thank you for sharing!

Silver said...

i always enjoy your mosaic post and pictures of pretty Hannah.

~Silver

Relyn Lawson said...

They grow up too fast don't they? Of course, when they do, you get a remarkable, beautiful young woman like your daughter. I hope mine is the same.

Carol at Serendipity said...

What a lovely mosaic. I am sure Hannah will treasure it in years to come!

Carol

Mummy McTavish said...

I think I'm about to cry over your daughter growing up... *sniff*