Friday, September 25, 2009

Another Year to Celebrate!

According to the Days Alive Calculator, I've been breathing 17,530 days so far. That's 48 years. 48! Can you believe it? And I'm not the only one.

It was a year ago this week that AVTCoach and I struck up a conversation and discovered that, of all things, we are birthday soul sisters. Not just celebrating the same birthday. We were actually born on the same day in the same year. How cool is that?

It took a while to put it all together, but when we did, we had fun comparing notes about our lives. You can read all about my birthday here, what it means to be a Libra here, and her birthday tribute to us both here.

This year, we decided to post a photo history of sorts, showing us at the ages of 8, 18, 28, 38, and ... um, 48. Just so you know, I had to dig pretty deep to find these. (Note to parents of three children: Please keep taking pictures after the third child is born!)

Being from a military family, I'm constantly adding up the years and trying to figure out exactly which state or country I lived in at that time. Now, I can positively say, that at least for part of 1969, I lived in a brick house across the street from my grandparents. Here I am hugging the teddy bear I got for Christmas. I was probably my happiest living here and would gallop imaginary ponies through my grandparents' yard and tie the ponies to the foot of my bed each night.


By the time I was 18, I had graduated high school and had already been working full-time as secretary to the librarian at a junior college. I took classes at night but stopped once I went to work as a secretary/paralegal at a law firm. Here I am celebrating my 18th birthday with my grandmother, Queenie Anne, whose birthday was the day before mine.


By the time I turned 28, a lot had happened. I had become a skydiver and a pilot and was working my way through college. I finally had to leave the law firm because the classes I needed were only offered during the day. I did keep working, though, as a radio DJ and news anchor. The biggest news of the year was that Craig asked me to marry him... at an Alabama football game! After saying "yes," I promptly locked the game tickets and the keys in the car. (And he still married me!)


By the time I was 38, I had become a mom! Hannah was three years old by then. She's definitely my greatest accomplishment. Being her mom is an absolute blessing.


And now, I'm 48. During the past 30 years, I've worked as a paralegal for 11 years, in public relations for 11-12 years, and I've been teaching for nearly five. I wonder what my future holds?


But, more importantly, here's hoping that I have another 17,530 days to live! A happy, healthy ninety-six isn't too much to ask for, is it?!

... that goes for AVT Coach, too! I wouldn't want to celebrate such a big day without her. And if you want to wish my friend a happy birthday, click on over to her site. She's the other Partridge Family fan...!
Happy birthday, Wendy!

15 comments:

miruspeg said...

How delightful that you and AVT Coach are joining together a whole year later and posting joint posts.
You are both such inspiring people and I thank my luck stars that we are friends.

Its always wonderful finding out more about the folk you admire and love and seeing photos of days gone by.
I don't think to be a happy, healthy 96 year old is too much to ask, I am planning on hanging around that long!
As for the future all you have to do is dare to keep all your dreams alive and climb the mountain.
Big hugs
Peggy xxxx

McMGrad89 said...

I cannot believe that Peggy and I are up at the exact same time. I love how things come together.

Happy birthday to you!!!! You know, every time I get to know you more I find out we have a little more in common. I worked in a jr. college library as a secretary too, but no sky diving for me!!! I think I beat you on the number of jobs though.

Best wishes,
Annemarie

Anonymous said...

Happy birthday to my wonderful wife. You aren't getting older you are getting better.

Roban said...

...awwww. Thanks for the birthday wishes you three. And it's a first. My husband actually commented on my blog!

Wendy said...

Happy Happy Birthday! I loved your post and the photos! I thought of you often during the day today. I hope your students helped you celebrate. I was very impressed when I read that your husband commented on your post for the first time! Now that is love! :)
I too hope I live to be in my old age as long as I have a mind...
Will be still know how to blog when we are 96? Maybe there will be a much more sophisticated way to do this without all of the steps :):) But I digress...I just wanted to say thank you for being my birthday sister too and look forward to many more posts!

Roban said...

I thought about wearing Hannah's "princess" crown today but didn't want to walk back up the stairs with a bad foot.... My students did help me celebrate though. Many "happy birthdays" and a classwide song or two did the trick!

Steph at Problem Solvin' Mom said...

What a fun coincidence and a fabulous post! :) Happy Birthday!!

beth said...

and the happiest of birthday wishes to you !!

and I think maybe your future holds an art retreat in it....how exciting :)

charrette said...

Happy birthday, Roban! You still look like you're 38. I love all the interesting places you were at these milestone junctures of your life. Great post.

Cindy said...

Hi Roban you left me a comment when you visited from Beths blog.So I am back to say Happy BDAY. I will come have a visit when I get back to town.

Silver said...

I love the pics and especially reading more about you, Roban! It's true about the greatest accomplishment of being a mom. Nothing can really make us feel like a huge success or a big flop more than being a parent..isn't it?

love,
Silver

Silver said...

By the way, you're 48 and you still look great. You have that kind of warmth on your face that exudes from within that makes people just relax.. and for you, i will skip the virus scan.. ;)

Unknown said...

Happy birthday!! (if belatedly :-))

What a great retrospective. You have had such an interesting life ... so far ... I wonder what else it holds too. :)

I have done so many different things and my life has taken many twists and turns too. It's nice to meet a kindred spirit.

Mummy McTavish said...

HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!! I hope it was a great one!

Jen said...

I hope you had a great birthday!