Monday, September 28, 2009

This Boot Was Made for Walking....

I always find it a little difficult to pack up my summer sandals at the end of the season. Our summer temperatures linger into fall, and while I may switch from capris to full-length slacks, I can usually get away with wearing sandals for several more weeks.

Yet the time has come a little early this year. I've actually been advised to switch from this strappy little number ...


to something more in line with a boot. And they weren't talking about an up-dated Ugg or a cute little faux fur-trimmed number. More like this one in classic gray ....


And, no I'm not going snow skiing any time soon either. That's a top-of-the-line air cast. Big and heavy and not enjoyable to wear at all.

It seems that I may have a stress fracture in one or more of the metatarsal bones of my right foot.

Last time I had a stress fracture it was in my tibia after running a 20-mile marathon training run. The current stress fracture is a little more of a mystery. The physician's assistant said that I may have begun the process during my four-mile walks this summer and compounded the problem when I took my strappy-sandaled feet back to the hard, cold floors of the classroom.

Whatever the cause, I'll be sporting this boot around for the next three weeks.

And you know what? That's okay because my foot sure was hurting before I started wearing this thing.

11 comments:

McMGrad89 said...

Ah, Roban. Welcome to the world of comfort (or in the case healing) over beauty. I have been directed to wear an athletic shoe since before this summer due to tendonitis of the Achilles. I have yet to afford more than one good pair so I walk in dresses and slacks down the halls of school in White and Pink Nikes.

Of course I had a very nice bridal shower and vanity won out, but I paid for it when I got home.

Happy healing!

Unknown said...

Here's to a speedy healing.

miruspeg said...

OH dear poor Roban :(
Question....what are you wearing on the other foot??
Hope the 3 weeks fly by for you.
I bet you are the 'talk of the town' with the kids at school.

Also I liked your take on the word verifications for 'stess' and 'unsit' over at my blog. I had chuckle over that! :)

Hugs
Peg

Mummy McTavish said...

OH NO!!!! I was all ready to tell you to move here because it's strappy shoes 12 months of the year. Sadly I don't think our beautiful climate would help your strss fractures... and it would make that boot all sweaty and gross too!

Praying for fast healing!

Bethany said...

Ouch!!! I'm not wearing sandals anymore either but that's because it's 50* and I can't wear them to work. I hope you feel better soon!!

Jen said...

Yuck! Hope the healing starts soon...and you are back to normal quickly!

Relyn Lawson said...

Man!! Feel better soon. Thinking of you.

Candace said...

Oh, no fun! I remember those cold, hard school room floors...they were not fun when I was pregnant and I'm sure they are not fun on a fractured foot. I LOVE your face in the second picture though! :) Hope it is feeling better soon!

Caroline said...

Oh Roban...that's no fun! I do hope you get healed up soon and out of that boot!

beth said...

OH NO !

I hope you heal quickly...boots of any kind are never good in my book...only a necessity due to the weather...BUT a boot because of stress fractures....YIKES.....

HEAL FAST YOU BAD FOOT !!!

Relyn Lawson said...

Have I told you yet how much I love your hair?